Belfort Mansion Front Gate
The Front Gate of the Belfort Mansion on 9/16/22.
The Garden District Association sign next to the Front Gate.
"Hutchinson House - This Southern Colonial Revival mansion was built between 1867 and 1873 as a one-and-a-half story home for Alexander Charles "A.C." Hutchinson and his wife Josephine Thomas Hutchinson. A.C. was a railroad executive from New York who married Josephine, an heiress from Algiers, Louisiana, just after the Civil War. Josephine was a great lover of gardens and flowers and by 1893, had purchased all adjacent lots fronting St. Charles Ave., between Third and Fourth Streets for abundant gardens with a greenhouse and stable in the rear. In 1903, the house was bequeathed to Joseph P. Blair and by 1909 had been raised to a two-and-a-half story home and redesigned in the Southern Colonia Revival Style with the massive columns and other elements added. In 1917, the house was sold to developers who sold off the gardens as lots and converted the house into a multifamily, known as The Belfort, from 1917-1995. In 1995 the home was purchased, and over several years, restored to a beautiful single family home with lush gardens."
Photo Credits: www.RealWorldHouses.com
Belfort Mansion Main Page
Updated - November 24, 2022